Easy ways to refresh your home this Spring
As the spring begins to stretch its arms and awaken, the days get longer and lighter, and you begin to notice where your home is looking a little tired around the edges. A thorough spring clean goes some way to improving this by blowing away the cobwebs to refresh your home, but if you really want to embrace the new beginnings of the season then you can go further. There are lots of easy and cost-effective ways of refreshing your home with some basic DIY. We have compiled this spring refresh edit for you with our top tips for updating your home on a budget:
- First and foremost you can rearrange all your furniture! This doesn’t cost a thing and will instantly make your home feel like new. It also has the added bonus of making the deep clean easier – as you can clean where the furniture used to be. Do the same thing with your art on the walls – a change is as good as a rest!
- Move your ornaments around as well and try rearranging your books in a different way – perhaps organising them by colour to make more of a feature of them.
- While you’re doing this, take the opportunity to declutter. Have a really good clear out and get rid of anything you don’t need or don’t use anymore. Check out our blog on clearing the clutter for more advice on this.
- Once this is done, you can start on the decorating. Painting is a wonderful way to breathe new life into your home. If you don’t have the time or energy to decorate an entire room, you can always create a feature wall, which can have a really stunning effect. Try painting it a different colour, or be really bold with some vibrant wallpaper.
- Then head for the fixtures and fittings. New knobs on draws can be very effective for updating old dressers and chests of drawers. You can take this further by getting new door furniture for your interior doors, and even your front door if budget allows. This is also a great way of updating kitchen cabinets.
- A new lick of paint is another way to update your kitchen units. It also does wonders for furniture and even internal doors – old chairs, tables, desks and cupboards can feel like completely new pieces of furniture, you could even try your hand with chalk paint to create a vintage feel.
- Try mixing it up with some new lampshades and cushion covers to introduce new colours to your home and update your décor.
- If you’ve got some plain tiles that you’re bored with in the kitchen or bathroom, you don’t need to replace them, you can instead use some vinyl decals and create an entirely new look.
- Bring the outside in with some lovely houseplants. The greenery will not only look good, but studies show they can boost your health as well.
- Add mirrors to create a sense of light and space.
- Let the light in more by removing all distracting and heavy items from near windows.
So try some of these things while you’re doing your annual spring clean and then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour in your ‘new’ old home.